Pages Navigation Menu

Health, Diets, Fitness & Your Life here...

Insect bite allergy – be prepared for emergencies

A mosquito, bee or wasp sting is unpleasant, but remember, after a few days. The situation is different in allergic patients, because of an insect sting allergy a harmless engraving may already have life-threatening consequences.

Insect bite allergyAn estimated 20 percent of the population are allergic to insect venom and about 5 per cent there is even such a severe allergic reaction that threatens anaphylactic shock, which can fatal if left untreated. Cause of this insect bite allergy is similar to other forms of allergy, hypersensitivity of the immune system in this case against individual structures of the insect poison, which the body is through the bite in contact. The most common are allergic reactions to bee or wasp stings. But bumblebees, hornets and other insects such as mosquitoes or ants may trigger an insect sting allergy.

When every second counts.

Depending on how severe are the symptoms of insect sting allergy, sometimes every second can be decisive. While the reaction occurs only locally in a mild form of allergy, it may result in anaphylactic shock or death in the severe form. Therefore, physicians distinguish different degrees of insect sting allergy, which must be treated with appropriate agents. So can usually be treated as local reactions, which are limited to the injection site with ice or at increased swelling with antihistamines in ointment or gel form. Join in addition to a local swelling or redness and skin reactions that are not in direct contact with the injection site and mild general symptoms such as nausea, dizziness or trouble breathing, should be treated by a doctor about it. In severe systemic reactions such as anaphylactic shock immediately ambulance had to be called in every case. Until that arrives, first aid, however, must be self-applied. Therefore sufferers should always carry an emergency consisting of antihistamine, corticosteroid and a shot of adrenaline with them and of course know how the funds are used in a known risk.

Not always possible to avoid a stitch.

Anyone who suffers from an insect sting allergy should avoid any contact with the allergens wherever possible. Sensible precautions are:

  • Do not walk barefoot.
  • Cover the entire body with clothes outdoors.
  • Care with gardening, while picking of fruits and flowers as well as eating and drinking outdoors.
  • Insect screens on the windows.
  • Do not use perfume or scented care products, but insect repellent.

However, the risk for an insect bite even with the best precautions not eliminate them entirely. For emergencies, sufferers should therefore always have a corresponding emergency aid kit here. It is also possible to desensitization, however, can only be done in tiny doses because of the dangerous allergic reactions and therefore can last for several years with a severe insect sting allergy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *