Pages Navigation Menu

Health, Diets, Fitness & Your Life here...

Mushroom poisoning – symptoms and first aid

Mushroom poisoning have become fortunately rare. But how to distinguish them from ordinary indigestion? Of the more than 5,000 large mushrooms in the local forests are only 150 toxic. Nevertheless, “mistakes” in mushroom picking are not harmless.

Mushroom poisoningMushroom pickers should be able to distinguish edible from inedible or poisonous copies. Also in the preparation of some rules must be observed:  Reheating is not getting mushroom dishes. This decompose certain proteins that are similar to those of a cause symptoms of food poisoning. Mushrooms spoil quickly and some people lack, genetic, an enzyme to digest fungi. In all these cases threaten abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea.

The comparatively harmless toadstools make itself a quarter of an hour to four hours after eating noticeable. With salt water, can cause vomiting. The symptoms normally disappear after a few days from final.
Severe symptoms for days after a meal mushroom require calling a poison control center, an immediate visit to the doctor or the emergency room of a hospital. Fungal residues or vomit should be lifted in such cases to identify the trigger. In contrast to earlier times, the healing of even heavy mushroom poisoning is now possible with timely intervention.

Severe mushroom poisoning – the symptoms.

It is important to know that the dangerous poisonous mushrooms often trigger until hours or even days after eating vehement poisoning syndromes:

  • Vomiting and cases
  • Headache,
  • Hallucinations,
  • Circulatory and respiratory problems,
  • Organ damage.

At this time, no artificially induced vomiting helps more, because the stomach have the mushrooms then already happened. Typical of the severe poisoning is a symptom-free period of one or more days to return again after the symptoms. Most liver or kidney damage has already occurred then.

Avoid suspicion and unknown fungi.

These fungi, however, the collector should leave under any circumstances:

  • Notorious family of Amanita mushrooms with the scientific name Amanita, as well as fungi of the genus is Galerina. Only 8 to 24 hours after the mushroom meal is a vehement crushing diarrhea, which fortunately most immediately affected drives to the doctor. Thanks to the rapid effective treatment, this poisoning is fatal in only 10 to 15% of cases. Occasionally, a liver transplant is necessary.
  • More rarely occur poisoning Orellanine on, in fungi of the genus Cortinarius, known as Orange Fuchsia. Here, the latency time is 2 to 17 days. The symptoms are built up very slowly, but already indicate kidney damage with severe thirst, headache, nausea, joint and headache.
  • The morel was once even as edible mushroom. The poison contained Gyromitrin is tricky. Symptoms and course are similar to those of Amanita phalloides poisoning. Threaten damage to liver and central nervous system. After a day or two can result in death by cerebral edema, respiratory arrest or circulatory collapse.

Nevertheless, fungi are an extremely valuable food that you have a high content of B-Vitamins, minerals and trace elements, and therefore should have a permanent place in our diet. Just find in Asian folk medicine and growing even here in Europe Mushrooms Medicinal mushrooms are used therapeutically successful. Medicinal mushrooms in optimal dosage and user-friendly administration are sold freely available in pharmacies.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *